Everyday Captains and Everyday Landings


Flying with a "regular" captain was something quite unknown to me. It was only several days after the fact that I looked back and realized an interesting fact about my career in flying thus far. Until now, the person in the seat beside me (whether the right or left) has fallen into one of only four categories: teacher, student, examiner, or passenger. Even at Airborne Sensing, where my coworker flew with me, that person always worked from the back seats and up front, I was in command.

Now, a fifth type of person: crew. That guy with 4 bars on his shoulder instead of 3 is just like me, hired to do a job and going where he's told. He makes mistakes just like me (and I've seen a few in the months since). He doesn't criticize me for making mistakes (for the most part). Up til now, I've been scrutinized and graded. Now, I'm just there to get from Point A to the ever-more-desirable Point B.

As this first captain said to me one sunny day heading into Calgary: "I'm going to put this," [indicates the entire airplane by gesturing in an wide circle] "down there." [points at the ground below]. Okay. Understood. Thumbs-up, dude.

It's amazing how loose and relaxed everyone is once the pressure is off.

The weather was amazing all summer long. There was a period of at least three straight weeks where I didn't see a cloud for 100 miles in any direction. At first, ironically, all this clear sky was disconcerting. Keep in mind, I'd just come from nonstop briefings and IFR approach preparation, a definite pattern of behaviour. Now, my approach briefings were so short, I felt like I kept forgetting something. I even had to write down a cheat sheet for it, even though it was really only about ten words.

Then there were the approaches themselves. I won't get into the long details about how my initial landings went, except to say they weren't that bad; but, I was still more comfortable with intercepting an ILS the way I'd done in training, not "keeping it in close", or even flying a "left downwind" in a 40,000-lb aircraft.

So the best accomplishment I had all summer was turning out of a mountain valley, mere meters from the rocks on either side (so it seemed), to roll out on a final approach perfectly on the visual glidepath, touched down softly, and having my captain say, "Nice landing. Really good. Well done."

It's fun beyond words handling a Dash-8 like it's a Cessna 172. It's even more rewarding finally having the ability to pull it off.

A word about landing a Dash-8: it's not easy. Well, I should give it more credit than that. It's an amazingly forgiving aircraft, with tough landing gear and a slow enough approach speed that makes it ideal for the short runways it was originally designed for. The difficulty is landing it softly. That stiff, forward facing landing gear strut also makes it almost impossible to . It's a bit like throwing a shopping cart over a speed bump. It just sort of "clunks" down, even on the best of days. And the lighter the airplane, the more "shopping-cart"-ish it behaves.

The exception to this rule is the wet runway. A thin layer of water between the runway and the tires is just enough gloss to allow us to touch down so softly, you could barely feel it. I consider it the height of compliment if my flight attendant says, "Wow, that was a really amazing landing! Who was flying that?" It was also nice when an Air Canada captain riding in our jumpseat called me a "show-off" after a particularly nice touchdown in Kelowna. I consider it the best of landings if I can call it smooth and not have to play the "wet-runway" card for extra points.

So if you're a passenger in a Dash-8 on a dry day, cut the pilots a bit of slack.

And more importantly, if the landing is really superb, don't assume it's to the captain's credit. While he is responsible for the aircraft as a whole, it might be surprising to the general travelling public that the First Officer actually flies the airplane as much as the Captain does. We split the legs 50/50. So it's just as likely that the beautifully soft landing you just experienced was actually executed by the F/O. I often remember hearing passengers thanking the Captain and telling him what a great job he did, despite the fact that it was my turn to fly. Well, there's no "I" in team, as they say. But don't forget about your lowly copilot up there in Row 0 when you thank the Captain for the nice trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment