An interesting phone message


Spring Season 2012 was coming, and it was finally time to leave. The job was 90% done, and work awaited us back in Ontario. I went down to Guayaquil for a short 3-day stay, and headed off with Bryn as my copilot on January 28.
The afternoon before we left, I started to feel that telltale tickle in the back of my throat. “Oh no, not now…” Downing orange juice and Dayquil the whole way to our first night’s stop in Grand Cayman, I tried my best to fend it off. But it still got me. Halfway through the night in Cayman, I woke up with my nose and throat full of fire and congestion. Raging head cold. Terrific.
Bryn flew the rest of the legs home while I suffered through the descents to land. We made it to our final destination of Lakeland, Florida, then piled aboard a commercial airliner to Toronto. I was home by midnight of January 31, the fastest return trip from Ecuador in company record. I then promptly spent the next 3 days in bed. NEVER fly with a cold.
Just before this trip, I had been wrangling with what to do about this job of mine. Company organization was continuing to degenerate. Back in November, I was removed from duty on the Twin Commander, the new turbine aircraft in the fleet, in favour of a part-timer who would take over the Ecuador job in my place. The reasoning behind this decision continues to mystify me. I never flew the Commander again.
So in the wake of that miserable conversation, I started half-heartedly job-seeking. I didn’t want to leave, but it was becoming an intolerable situation. And maybe it was high time I tried to step things up a bit.
I did now have a big 42 hours of turbine time, after all, so I updated my application profiles on the Air Canada, Westjet and Jazz websites to reflect this. I sent out a few e-mails in response to some AvCanada ads. I did get a callback from Thunder Air, an operator who flew King Air’s and a couple Mitsubishi MU-2’s (which fly the same engines as the Commander), and was promptly offered employment over the phone. I considered it. But in light of relocating to Timmins and a reduction in pay, I eventually opted to just tough it out, and hope that the spring season would allow me back into the Commander. I wrote back by e-mail turning down the offer the day after I returned from Ecuador.
The morning after the e-mail, my phone rang. I expected it was the Chief Pilot of Thunder Air calling after reading my message. I let it ring. I could barely talk from the congestion in my head and throat, and was barely conscious besides. The phone predictably chimed three times, indicating that the caller had left a voicemail that was translated into text by Telus.
Curiosity overcame fatigue and a stuffy nose, and I finally fumbled the phone off the shelf to see who called. It was from a 902 area code, which I thought was from Halifax, not Thunder Bay. I read the messages in disbelief.
“Hi this message is from Samantha at Jazz Air, we are calling to schedule an interview with you. Please give me a call back to schedule a date if you are interested. Thank you.”
Jazz. This must be a cold-medication-induced dream, I thought. Am I asleep still? No, I seem to be rather awake. Or did the Telus voicemail-to-text system hear it wrong?
I flew to the big windows of my condo where my phone could get a good cell signal and returned the call. Sure enough, my number had been drawn. Samantha set up an interview date in Toronto for 5 days hence. Thankfully there was no flying to be done that week. I was unable to go back to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment