Hot seat


So on Wednesday morning, I dressed up in my snappiest blazer and dress slacks, packed up my logbooks, resume and reference letters, and drove my Zipcar out to the Airways Centre at Pearson. Butterflies, to say the least.
I arrived ridiculously early and found the main lobby easily enough. It was a stark room with some furniture, a huge model of the Canadair Regional Jet (CRJ), and big brass letters that spelled “Jazz” in their signature-stylized handwriting. There was a phone on the table that instructed interviewees to call a certain extension, but there was no answer.
I began imagining that this was some sort of behavioural test, and looked around for the hidden camera.
Eventually, a woman from HR came to fetch me, and I was led to a small room where I met the Chief Pilot of the Central Region. The two of them asked me the standard questions about my background, then as the Chief Pilot combed through my logbooks, the HR lady asked me a few other easy questions. Then the tough stuff: behavioural questions. These are scenario-based, such as “Tell us about a time when you were stressed and how you handled it,” or “Describe a time when you made a mistake.” I knew this was coming, and yet when the Captain had to prompt me by saying, “We are looking for more specific examples,” I figured this adventure was already over.
The next couple questions got easier, though. I described the engine failure over the Andes Mountains in response to “When did you use your flying skill to maximum effectiveness?”, and running out of fuel and landing single-engine in IDS when asked the mistake question. I got nods and a "Well, that's how you learn" from the Chief Pilot. A better sign.
The whole thing lasted only an hour or so. I was glad to leave. I got home and promptly put everything away, resolving to forget it even happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment